Monday, July 23, 2012

Listen Carefully

It is true that if you listen carefully God will tell you his plans.  The reason I believe this is because over the past few weeks I have been trying to listen as obediently as possible, and I feel more at peace than ever.  I know that God has a special plan for my life and my family by allowing us to serve others at church as well as those we come into contact with daily.  I've watched my husband grow and become compassionate for those he meets at work. I've listen to my son ask questions and show concern for friends and strangers.  I've grown up knowing that it was my job to serve others for the Lord by watching my parents, and being able to share that with my boys is a blessing. 


For this season of life, God has made it clear that he would like for me to continue to serve in the Preschool Ministry on Sunday mornings, but in a different position.  He has also been making other things very clear, not only for me, but for Adam as well.  For as long as I can remember I always knew that one day I wanted to adopt a child as well as have some of my own.  It has been almost 5 years since Copeland was born, and Adam and I have been blessed beyond imagine with our precious son.  Four and a half years have past by as we have tried to give C a brother or sister to love and play with, and over those 4 1/2 years there have been plenty of "maybe I am" and "maybe I'm not."  This use to get me down a great bit, but if you know me I really am an easy going person who can shake most things off and go on with life.  I credit that to my faith in God, and I know that he's the one who is really in control, so why bother and get yourself all in a tizzy!! 


Well over the years Adam and I have just mentioned the thought of adoption, but it was always one of those conversations you had in passing that really didn't have much depth to it.  That was until two Sunday's ago when I shared with Adam on the way home from church that I thought we should adopt.  He did his usual "yeah, okay" and that was that, nothing else really said.  Well, we have both been praying and talking with God about during our quiet times and without a doubt he has spoken to our hearts and made it clear that adoption is where we go from here. 

This is just the beginning, and I know there will be many hurdles to jump until we are able to adopt and bring another child into our home, but we are ready  to do whatever it takes.  My prayers have been asking God to keep us going in the right direction, to come in contact and with the right people, to bless the child who will be a part of our family whether he or she has even been born yet, and to help us keep our eyes on Him throughout the entire process.  So for now we are researching and looking at all of our options before we take the next step and go full throttle into this new adventure.  There are connections to be made and stories to be heard that will help guide us along as we begin our own adoption story.  We have talked with Copeland and explained what all of this means, and he seems ready and excited for what is in store for our family. 

Please keep us in your prayers as we follow God in obedience. 

3 comments:

Patty Phillips said...

My Dearest Ashley,
Your dad and I are so proud of you, Adam and Copeland and your decision to expand your family!! As dad stated yesterday we count it a privlege to know someone like you who will make this world a better place because of your love for God and the people who surround you in this world. I'm praying with you that God will honor your request to give you a child who is need of a great family with so much love to give to them. I know without a shadow of doubt that God has your next child selected for you and is just waiting on the perfect moment to introduce you to him or her!! We look forward to a new "Hagin" being added to our family in the near future.

Love,
Momma

The Family Man said...

That's awesome!! We will surely be praying for you guys! :-)

Anonymous said...

Ashley,

I will pray for you and your sweet family. Please keep me posted because when Harry and I started praying that prayer... we found out we were expecting:)
Love,

Leisa Kent